Wednesday, January 28, 2004

We are in Amman, Jordan. It took us almost two days to get here with a pleasant layover in Amsterdam.

I'm very tired. I can't seem to sleep at all. My head is flooded with so much excitment and anticipation. Last night we got in late to Amman and my father made us chicken kabobs and told me the story of the day he met Saddam (it's in the movie and I will relay this later). Anyway we drove around Amman and my Dad showed took me to his office in Amman University where he teaches. Every person we met was surprised that I was my father's oldest son (my father got re-married and has 4 and 2 year old boys). We went to the Al-Salt neighborhood and just talked about politics and made jokes about Saddam. K was happy to find some Red Bull energy drink.

My Arabic is still rough but I am trying and winging it as best as I can. K and I pick up most of our Arabic by hanging out with my young step-brothers.

We are not taking a bus to Baghdad! We will be traveling by GMC (thank Gods I say). We leave Amman around 1a.m and should arrive in Baghdad 9 hours later.

I try really hard and not watch the news. Al-Jazeera is not the best channel to watch hoping for anything good.

If you need to get a hold of me please use the email on this site.

I'm so exhausted.

I still think I'm losing my vision...or going a little insane.

I asked myself this question a few times. Why am I returning after all this time? I think I may have an answer. Because I love Iraq. It's that simple for now.

My Father and I are getting along beautifully. Lets hope it lasts.

See you in Baghdad.