Wednesday, January 21, 2004

I watched GW Bush give his State of (comm)Union address. A self-congratulatory pep rally for America and the willing. According to Bush, God seems to spend a lot of time blessing the USA. The highlight was watching Dr. Adnan Pachachi stand up while everyone clapped. Mrs. Bush was next to him. I wonder if they held hands? I was hoping Bush would do something Hollywood-like and wheel out Bin Laden in a cage or something. Well he almost did that with Saddam. Yes the world is a safer place with Saddam behind bars, I agree with you Bushy, but it would also be safer if you joined him.

I was taking a taxi home and chatting like I usually do with the cabbie. Most taxi drivers in Chicago are either Pakistani, Indian or Nigerian. But every now and then you will get some Arabs, usually Moroccan or Algerian. But this guy was Iranian. An older sweet man, with thick glasses and grey hair. When I told him I was from Iraq he kept on looking at me and smiling. He said he feels very bad for what is happening over there. I agreed. He told me he that Saddam Hussein is mentally ill. I agreed Saddam is a bit of wacko. But then he was very critical of the US and their 'war on terror'. What the hell is a war on terror? Are they going to find the boogieman? I was just happy the conversation did not end with blaming Israel. I like Iranians. We both agreed that the Iraq-Iran war was really very wasteful and not appropriate for Muslims to battle one another.

We are getting our stuff together and I am trying to keep my nerves in check when dealing with my Dad. He just sent me an email requesting the following items:
Usama .....I need 50 plain CDs should not exceed $30,6Sony video two hours,4Kodake films speed 200(36 picture),also !00 capletsExtra strengthTYLENOL PM sleep aid..love DAD


Really I can make a whole movie about my Dad. I am happy to be corresponding with Raed, from Where is Raed blogger fame. And I have finally picked up SalamPax's book the Baghdad Blog. I highly recommend this book and please watch the promo for the book, very nice.

Baghdad I am coming to you.