Thursday, January 08, 2004

I spoke to my father today. He says that his wife's brother just came from Baghdad. The news is good and bad regarding the state of Iraq. We talked about our trip and he reassured me that everything would be fine and encouraged me to bring K along. We spoke about the last time he was in Iraq, I believe he it was 1980. He still has a letter from the Iraqi govt telling him that he is prohibited from teaching at Baghdad University. This is the same govt that gave him a scholarship to complete his PhD in the USA. He tells me he still has the letter and he wants to show it to me. Of course the first thing I want to do when I arrive in Baghdad is eat fresh Iraqi bread!
....

K has been in tears with the prospect of me going alone to Iraq, that is, without her. I want her to come...but money is tight. Somehow I am determined to have her come with me. She has never seen the Middle East and (I know) she would be very excited to see the land of my birth...Iraq.

I want her to come
I do
I do!
....

I just want to connect to anybody out there in Baghdad or even Basrah. I am neither here or there.

-U